It is currently Wed 26 Nov 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 1:34 pm 

Hello everyone, I am looking to get a tattoo done across my knuckles (so please keep in mind I'm limited to 8 letters) and have been doing some research. What I want to get across is that I am reminding myself to stay/be strong-minded/strong-willed. The translations I have found so far are:

"Fan Tréan"
"Bím Tréan"
"Bí Tréan"

any help in informing me the correct translations of these, and possibly which is BEST for my needs. I would also like confirmation that these are the Irish Gaelic and not the Scottish Gaelic please.

also have been looking at:

"Fan Dílis"
"Bí Dílis"

Eventually I am thinking of across my top knuckles saying "Be Strong" and the bottom knuckles "Stay True"
or "Stay Strong" and "Be True".
Any input on what sounds or would look better WILL be taken into consideration, and I would love the added opinions.

THANK YOU so much in advance.
look forward to being a part of this community.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 1:38 pm 

I ALWAYS forget something :LOL:
Also any help with the pronunciation with those sayings. THANK YOU again.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 2:53 pm 

Fan Tréan "Stay/remain strong"
FUN TRAY-un
/faN t´r´e:N/

Bím Tréan "I am strong"
BEAM TRAY-un
/b´i:m´ t´r´e:N/

Bí Tréan "Be strong"
BEE TRAY-un
/b´i: t´r´e:N/

Fan Dílis "Stay/remain true/loyal"
FUN DEAL-ish
/faN d´i:l´əs´/

Bí Dílis "Be true/loyal"
BEE DEAL-ish
/b´i: d´i:l´əs´/

I am not sure bím tréan fits what you want, though I suppose it could do so somewhat indirectly.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:06 pm 

Thank you so much for your knowledge. Like I said before I am a TRUE beginner, do all of these phrases work grammatically in the sense that i am reminding myself and not telling someone else to stay or be strong/true? I am not sure if there is a difference. also just to be sure these are Irish and not Scottish correct? :LOL: I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, at least I am trying to learn right? :)

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:22 pm 

Antone wrote:
Thank you so much for your knowledge. Like I said before I am a TRUE beginner, do all of these phrases work grammatically in the sense that i am reminding myself and not telling someone else to stay or be strong/true? I am not sure if there is a difference. also just to be sure these are Irish and not Scottish correct? :LOL: I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, at least I am trying to learn right? :)
Yes, they do. Yes, it is Irish. And no need to apologise because yes, we are learning with you. :D

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:26 pm 

Antone wrote:

These are indeed Irish gaelic, I would pronounce "fan" more like f-on rather than fun though?- Everything else is spot on! Very difficult to represent Irish phonetics with English ones. In regards to (whom? :?: ) you are addressing its completely open- there's no difference. However if you want to clear up any ambiguity you could change the place where you want to write it- fan (go) tréan is bí dílis duit féin (standard Irish)- stay strong and be tre to yourself, it has a nice ring to it in Irish.

F-on TRAY- un is bee Deal-ish dit FAY- un

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

Last edited by An Cionnfhaolach on Sat 07 Jul 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:36 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Antone wrote:
Yes, they do. Yes, it is Irish. And no need to apologise because yes, we are learning with you. :D

Beat me again :LOL:

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:37 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Antone wrote:

These are indeed Irish gaelic, I would pronounce "fan" more like f-on rather than fun though?- Everything else is spot on! Very difficult to represent Irish phonetics with English ones. In regards to (whom? :?: ) you are addressing its completely open- there's no difference. However if you want to clear up any ambiguity you could change the place where you want to write it- fan (go) tréan is bí dilis duit féin (standard Irish)- stay strong and be tre to yourself, it has a nice ring to it in Irish.

F-on TRAY- un is bee Deal-ish dit FAY- un

Thank you for a second confirmation. I do actually like that...again excuse the apparent ignorance but why is "fan (go)" i think i'm asking why do you have "go" in parenthesis? Also i don't have much space to change where I want this tattoo, so I believe i will go with "Bí Tréan" on my top knuckles and "Fan Dílis" underneath knuckles. But maybe I will keep the phrase for My signature online as well as my phone. THANK YOU

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:38 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Antone wrote:

Beat me again :LOL:

:clap: I sense a little competition.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2012 3:59 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
I would pronounce "fan" more like f-on rather than fun though?

Fan is pronounced more like fon /fɑN/ in Munster, but what I gave is correct for Connemara. :winkgrin:
(Lughaidh might be able to fill us in on whether there is a different pronunciation of fan in Gaoth Dobhair?)

Fan tréan is bí dílis duit féin
FUN TRAY-un iss BEE DEAL-ish GHIT HAYN
/faN t´r´e:N əs b´i: d´i:l´əs´ɣit´ he:n´/

Féin is pronounced as if spelled héin in Connacht and Ulster.

Duit is pronounced as both duit dit /dit´/ and dhuit ghit /ɣit´/ in Munster, mostly as dhuit ghit /ɣit´/ in Connacht and always as duit ditch /dit´/ in Ulster.

Antone wrote:
I sense a little competition.
Nah. :ninja: :LOL: