It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Gaelic Quotes
PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012 8:06 pm 

Hello all. It's me again. I am looking for Irish Gaelic quotes and/or poems to place at the beginning of each of the three books in the Irish series I have written. I'm open to anything you particularly like, poetry, famous quotes, Scripture verses, etc. Topics should denote love, strength, redemption, forgiveness, faith, etc. Anything of that nature. It must be copyright free, so that I can print it in the book, and please provide the translation.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Gaelic Quotes
PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012 11:13 am 

You should look into seanfhocail (old sayings/proverbs). They relate to all aspects of life (including the themes you mentioned), and there's no copyright on them, since they're traditional sayings. The daltai site is a good place to start.

http://www.daltai.com/proverbs/

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012 12:32 pm 

Mick wrote:
You should look into seanfhocail (old sayings/proverbs). They relate to all aspects of life (including the themes you mentioned), and there's no copyright on them, since they're traditional sayings. The daltai site is a good place to start.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012 1:54 pm 

scw1217 wrote:
Mick wrote:

Many thanks!

That site has its fair share of typoes, so check with us here for accuracy of spelling.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov 2012 3:37 pm 

Have a look at Old Irish Triads by Kuno Meyer , I am sure if you search in Startpage search engine you will get it.
I use G***gle as little as possible as it data mines for security services along with the popular social media

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012 1:00 am 

micab wrote:
Have a look at Old Irish Triads by Kuno Meyer , I am sure if you search in Startpage search engine you will get it.
I use G***gle as little as possible as it data mines for security services along with the popular social media

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012 3:40 pm 

What's the overall message in each of the books?

i.e if the first book is about revenge than we might be able to find a seanfhocal (or saying) that best suits the message for example:

"Tagann/ titeann feall ar an bhfeallaire"

(treachery comes/falls to/on the traitor) .

One thing is for certain Irish has many sayings! :)

Or if its about "moving on with life or forgiveness"

"Is fearr súil romhainn ná dhá shúil inár ndiaidh"

(It is better to have an eye ahead of us (i.e to the future), than having both eyes behind us (i.e looking/ fixed on the past)!

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012 3:49 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
What's the overall message in each of the books?

i.e if the first book is about revenge than we might be able to find a seanfhocal (or saying) that best suits the message for example:

"Tagann/ titeann feall ar an bhfeallaire"

(treachery comes/falls to/on the traitor) .

One thing is for certain Irish has many sayings! :)

Or if its about "moving on with life or forgiveness"

"Is fearr súil romhainn ná dhá shúil inár ndiaidh"

(It is better to have an eye ahead of us (i.e to the future), than having both eyes behind us (i.e looking/ fixed on the past)!

Book 1 is about a man who has done a crime finding love (both spiritual and marital) and redemption for his soul.
Book 2 is about a woman who wants to start her life over. She seeks deliverance from her past, but doesn't feel she deserves it.
Book 3 is about a boy who has made many mistakes and knows it, but can't seem to forgive himself for it.

I like your last saying.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2012 10:04 pm 

An Bíobla Naofa is available free on-line...if you can think of a Biblical quote you like, we can get it for you (I don't recommend doing it yourself, as the wording in the Irish Bible is somewhat different from many English translations).

A love quote I can think of right off the bat is good old I Corinthians: "Love is patient and kind; it is neither boastful nor rude...".

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2012 1:33 am 

Redwolf wrote:
An Bíobla Naofa is available free on-line...if you can think of a Biblical quote you like, we can get it for you (I don't recommend doing it yourself, as the wording in the Irish Bible is somewhat different from many English translations).

A love quote I can think of right off the bat is good old I Corinthians: "Love is patient and kind; it is neither boastful nor rude...".

Redwolf

That's a good idea. I'll do some thinking on it and get back to you!