It is currently Mon 13 May 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 2:31 am 

Hi folks,
I was wondering if any fluent Irish speaker could help me out?

I am from Wexford originally and now living in Australia for the last 10 years give or take.

I am getting a tattoo of “An Irish Blessing” (well a kind of personalized version) and would love it if someone could help me out with the translation, as its going to be there for life I want to have it bang on.

I have been working on the translation myself and have had help from a few Irish speaking sources but some of them say it is good and others say that it wrong in parts or doesn’t make sense.

What I want to translate is:
My Family and Friends
May the road succeed you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
May the hand of a friend always be near.
And until we meet again, may your God hold you in the palm of his hand.

What I have so far is:
(Mo Chlann agus Mo Chairde) / (Mo Mhuintir)
Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí leat.
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar d’aghaidh.
Go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt.
Agus féadfaidh an lámh le cara a bheith I gcónaí in aice leis.
Agus go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís,
go gcoinní do Dhia i mbosa a láimhe thú.

I was not sure which type of Irish is used in Wexford or which looks the nicest on paper so I just put standard and I'm also interested in the old school version. I prob have a mixture of every type here for all I know. :dhera:

Any help you guy’s could provide would be much appreciated and greatly received!

Thank you,
Darra83

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2013 5:17 am 

darra83 wrote:
Hi folks,
I was wondering if any fluent Irish speaker could help me out?

I am from Wexford originally and now living in Australia for the last 10 years give or take.

I am getting a tattoo of “An Irish Blessing” (well a kind of personalized version) and would love it if someone could help me out with the translation, as its going to be there for life I want to have it bang on.

I have been working on the translation myself and have had help from a few Irish speaking sources but some of them say it is good and others say that it wrong in parts or doesn’t make sense.

What I want to translate is:
My Family and Friends
May the road succeed you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
May the hand of a friend always be near.
And until we meet again, may your God hold you in the palm of his hand.

What I have so far is:
(Mo Chlann agus Mo Chairde) / (Mo Mhuintir)
Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí leat.
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar d’aghaidh.
Go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt.
Agus féadfaidh an lámh le cara a bheith I gcónaí in aice leis.
go gcoinní do Dhia i mbosa a láimhe thú.

I was not sure which type of Irish is used in Wexford or which looks the nicest on paper so I just put standard and I'm also interested in the old school version. I prob have a mixture of every type here for all I know. :dhera:

Any help you guy’s could provide would be much appreciated and greatly received!

Thank you,
Darra83

That blessing has been translated on this forum (and its predecessor) many times. Most of what you have (after the first line) is translated in the way people usually do it, but there are a few issues:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Go raibh an chóir ghaoithe i gcónaí leat
[some prefer: Go séide an ghaoth i gcónaí ar do chúl]
Go dtaitní an ghrian go bog bláth ar d’aghaidh
Go dtite an bháisteach go bog mín ar do ghoirt
[some prefer Go gcuire to Go dtite]
Agus féadfaidh an lámh le cara a bheith i gcónaí in aice leis
The line above is not a usual part of this blessing, and I've never seen it before. Note that the "i" should be written lower case.
The translation seems odd. I would think it should start with Go raibh, and I don't understand what is intended by that form of the verb féad, so I'll leave it to a more fluent speaker to comment further.
Go gcoinní Dia i mbois a láimhe thú
In the above line:
(i) no "h" in Dia here;
(ii) the do has been deleted as unnecessary; and
(iii) note the correction to the word for "palm".

As for your first line, when speaking to someone (rather than about them), you don't use mo. Instead, you use the vocative particle a, as in:
A Mhuintir = "O (My) Family", in the same way that we say "O God" in English when speaking to God (the "my" part is understood).
A Chlainn would mean something more like "O (My) Children".
Another possibility is A Theaghlaigh, if you were addressing the family members who live with you (rather than a broader group).
I'm not sure, though, that any of these would sound natural in Irish, even though they are literally correct, so wait for others to comment.

As for your friends, for a single friend, it would be A Chara. There are two ways to pluralize Cara, though (Cairde and Carad), and I can't remember which is used in the vocative, so again wait for more comments.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 2:12 am 

Thank you CaoimhínSF your input is much appreciated.

Do you know if you can use 'A Mhuintir' to mean family and friends? I have been told before that it means my people so I was just going to use that to cover all 'family and friends'.

I also think the words you say that some prefer may look better in a tattoo aesthetically with script font, thanks for that.

The reason I put 'Do Dhia' is because I wanted to emphasize that it was 'your god' as some of my friends have different religions & faiths which have different deities, but I may just leave the religious aspect out all together.

Thank you again for your fast response it is greatly received and much appreciated!!!
I will take your underlining advice and wait for two or 3 other people to confirm before I go ahead and and get inked tho.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 12:33 pm 

Line 2: "an chóir ghaoithe". I'm not saying this is necessarily wrong, but the set expression is "cóir ghaoithe" - "a favourable wind".

Line 6: "féadfaidh" would be from the verb 'féad/féadachtáil' = "may" in the sense of "can/be able" and is nonsensical here. A couple of errors in the rest of the line too. It should be Go raibh lámh cara i gcónaí in aice leat

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2013 7:54 pm 

darra83 wrote:
Do you know if you can use 'A Mhuintir' to mean family and friends? I have been told before that it means my people so I was just going to use that to cover all 'family and friends'.
'Mo mhuintir' can be used to mean extended family. 'Clann' and 'teaghlach' are smaller units so 'muintir' is more suitable if you are looking to include more that that.