It is currently Thu 24 Jul 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct 2011 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 07 Sep 2011 5:05 pm
Posts: 422
The meaning hasn’t changed.

The verb used here, brúcht, means to ‘erupt’, ‘spew forth’, ‘bubble over’, etc. Think of a volcano with lava bubbling and being spewed from it, or of water boiling in a pot on the stove—that’s the kind of image brúcht gives. It fits perfectly here, I think, as it gives the sense of ‘overflowing’, but also the kind of reckless bubbliness of being ‘drunk’ with something.

_________________
Not a native speaker.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 28
kokoshneta wrote:
The meaning hasn’t changed.

The verb used here, brúcht, means to ‘erupt’, ‘spew forth’, ‘bubble over’, etc. Think of a volcano with lava bubbling and being spewed from it, or of water boiling in a pot on the stove—that’s the kind of image brúcht gives. It fits perfectly here, I think, as it gives the sense of ‘overflowing’, but also the kind of reckless bubbliness of being ‘drunk’ with something.


I actually really like that because it does make sense w/ the quote. So it would still basically mean 'overflowing' just not as specific, right? So Koko which translation do you seem to perfer? & you too Breandán, which translation do you perfer? (Everyone else too please, it's just that these two have reeeally been trying to help me :))..If I was to ever go to Ireland which one would I NOT be made fun of for lol.. Plus their all pretty in their different ways :)

Thanks for the help! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
heather304 wrote:
So Breandán is 100% correct about the meaning part. Its not past nor present, it's just something there that can not be seen, but it's there. & is this suggestion

"Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh"

the same meaning or has it been changed some?! If its been changed could you please point out what & where because I can't read Gaelic lol. I was wondering if when I get the final translation (the one I'll use for the tattoo) if someone could help me learn the pronunciation of it that'd be awesome!

Thanks for all & everyones help! :D :clap:


The above translation is really good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 07 Sep 2011 5:05 pm
Posts: 422
heather304 wrote:
So Koko which translation do you seem to perfer?

I prefer this latest one, like Scooby.

_________________
Not a native speaker.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: An Astráil
I like it too. :good:

One more confirmation should clinch it. :yes:

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 28
Okay so, I'm just making sure, this is the one (most likely)

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh

which means - "Our hearts are overflowing with a beauty our eyes could never see."
Right?! Just making sure thats what it says & if its not the EXACT same thing then atleast its pretty close (if it's a little different could you please tell me what it says lol sorry) lol ohh & I'd like to have it written in two lines so where would I use a line break(enter/new line)?.. I reeeally appreciate everyones help on this! I'm soo excited that we may have found a 100% accurate winner!! Woohoo! lol :clap: :D

So c'mon lets get some more approvals! lol :good:

Thanks everyone! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct 2011 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: An Astráil
heather304 wrote:
Okay so, I'm just making sure, this is the one (most likely)

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh

which means - "Our hearts are overflowing with a beauty our eyes could never see."
Right?! Just making sure thats what it says & if its not the EXACT same thing then atleast its pretty close (if it's a little different could you please tell me what it says lol sorry) lol ohh & I'd like to have it written in two lines so where would I use a line break(enter/new line)?.. I reeeally appreciate everyones help on this! I'm soo excited that we may have found a 100% accurate winner!! Woohoo! lol :clap: :D

So c'mon lets get some more approvals! lol :good:

Thanks everyone! :)

Here's one way you could break it:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh
"Our hearts are gushing"

le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh
"With a beauty our eyes would never see."

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 28
Breandán wrote:
Here's one way you could break it:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh
"Our hearts are gushing"

le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh
"With a beauty our eyes would never see."


Okay I like that. But remember Breandán its 'overflowing' lol.. I actually kinda like the fact that that word can be kind of different like 'overflowing','erupt', etc.. (thanks Koko lol) So yeahh I like it :D

So does everyone think this is the 100% accurate one to go with?!?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011 5:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 30 Aug 2011 1:50 am
Posts: 118
With confirmations from Scooby, koko, and Breandán? Can't get better than that, heather! Only maybe one from Braoin. ;)

_________________
I am only a beginner. Please get confirmation before using any of my suggestions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 21 Sep 2011 5:36 pm
Posts: 28
pennyrat wrote:
With confirmations from Scooby, koko, and Breandán? Can't get better than that, heather! Only maybe one from Braoin. ;)


hmm..maybe he'll give it another look sense we think we have one instead of trying to get one lol.. & I'm very excited that we've found a translation! :) I think if I get one more confirmation, I'm going to send this to the tattoo guy so he can draw it up! :D

Thank You!
:GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bríd Mhór, Google [Bot], Jay Bee, Two Echo and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group