It is currently Wed 15 May 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 11:42 pm 

Repeatedly when I tell people here in NYC that I am studying Irish, they say, "You mean Gaelic?"

At the outset of my studies I read quite a bit on the terminology, and my understanding is that in Europe people generally use the term Irish for the language, and that Gaelic can be Irish or Scottish or Manx and is therefore ambiguous. Irish just seemed like the best choice all around, even though I am in the U.S.

My audience for my blog is global, but I do have far more readers in the U.S. than anywhere else. It seems it is rare enough in the U.S. to use Irish (although the Irish Arts Center here in NYC does, for its language classes, and they should know!) that I am wondering whether I should try something different, just for the sake of clarity.

I guess an alternative would be Irish Gaelic; I was happy with just Irish and would prefer to stick with that.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 11:56 pm 

Ellen wrote:
Repeatedly when I tell people here in NYC that I am studying Irish, they say, "You mean Gaelic?"

At the outset of my studies I read quite a bit on the terminology, and my understanding is that in Europe people generally use the term Irish for the language, and that Gaelic can be Irish or Scottish or Manx and is therefore ambiguous. Irish just seemed like the best choice all around, even though I am in the U.S.

My audience for my blog is global, but I do have far more readers in the U.S. than anywhere else. It seems it is rare enough in the U.S. to use Irish (although the Irish Arts Center here in NYC does, for its language classes, and they should know!) that I am wondering whether I should try something different, just for the sake of clarity.

I guess an alternative would be Irish Gaelic; I was happy with just Irish and would prefer to stick with that.

What do you think?

What it comes down to is there are three Gaelic (Goidelic) languages: Irish, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx. Techincally any or all of them can be called "Gaelic."

In reality, when speaking English, "Gaelic" by itself is used to refer to Scottish Gaelic. If you go to a bookstore and look for language books on any of these languages, the ones that only say "Gaelic" will be for Scottish Gaelic. Consequently, we kind of try to avoid using "Gaelic" by itself to refer to Irish unless the context is clearly understood.

As things stand now, "Irish" is the preferred term for An Ghaeilge in Ireland and among most Irish learners and speakers. That said "Gaelic" isn't "wrong," per se, and the term is actually used among many older people in Ireland.

I have never heard Manx referred to generically as "Gaelic." You could call it "Manx Gaelic," but most people just say "Manx," and there seems to be less confusion about it than with Irish and Scottish Gaelic...possibly because, in the U.S., not many people realize that "Manx" refers to anything other than tail-less cats!

In the U.S., people generally don't realize that there is such a thing as an Irish language. Consequently, those of us here who are learning or speak the language tend to use "Irish Gaelic" to make things crystal clear (and because we get tired of people asking us if we're learning to speak with an Irish accent!)

What it comes down to is that, technically, "Gaelic," "Irish," and "Irish Gaelic" are all perfectly correct. Which you use depends on your audience. I recommend avoiding using "Gaelic" by itself because of the confusion with Scottish Gaelic. You can either use "Irish" and be prepared to explain what you mean, or do what a lot of us do and compromise by using "Irish Gaelic."

Redwolf

Last edited by Redwolf on Sat 25 May 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 11:57 pm 

Ellen wrote:
What do you think?
Most people where I live (in New Mexico) say Gaelic and a few people say Irish. I personally like saying Irish Gaelic myself. Everybody immediately understands what I'm talking about, and that's a good thing. :)

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 12:16 am 

Thank you for the responses! I love the simplicity of "Irish" on its own. Maybe I will just have to keep explaining myself.

WeeFalorieMan, I couldn't help wondering whether your statement "Everybody immediately understands what I'm talking about" might be a tiny bit optimistic. ;)

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 12:20 am 

You could always say "I'm learning Gaeilge." That'll get them asking questions.

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 1:44 am 

Mick wrote:
You could always say "I'm learning Gaeilge." That'll get them asking questions.

:LOL:

Ellen can I ask what's your blog about?

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 1:56 am 

Ha ha, yes, I will try "I'm learning Gaeilge." That should go well.

You know, I really should try that, since it took me about 200 attempts to get the pronunciation of those interior sounds in Gaeilge close to correct. That's a hell of a word for a newcomer.

An Cionnfhaolach, my blog documents my four-year adventure studying a bunch of different languages serially--languages important to New York City, where I live. It looks at ways to study languages using teach-yourself products and also using your environment (NYC is a great language lab, for example!). I also write reviews of the materials and resources I use. The Irish Language Forum is reviewed on my site, for example, because it is fabulous and people are so helpful! :)

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 2:32 am 

Ellen wrote:
Ha ha, yes, I will try "I'm learning Gaeilge." That should go well.

You know, I really should try that, since it took me about 200 attempts to get the pronunciation of those interior sounds in Gaeilge close to correct. That's a hell of a word for a newcomer.

An Cionnfhaolach, my blog documents my four-year adventure studying a bunch of different languages serially--languages important to New York City, where I live. It looks at ways to study languages using teach-yourself products and also using your environment (NYC is a great language lab, for example!). I also write reviews of the materials and resources I use. The Irish Language Forum is reviewed on my site, for example, because it is fabulous and people are so helpful! :)

That's a great undertaking :good: ! Is that a source of employment or just a personal project? Can we have a link to your site?

There's a book about the Irish that came to New York: The New York Irish edited by T. Meagher and R. Bayor, there's a chapter which you may find useful ‘The Irish Language in New York City 1850-1900’ by Kenneth E. Nilsen. I suggested that book on the forum before and the person seemed to get great benefit from it.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 4:02 pm 

An Cionnfhaolach, thank you so much for the chapter reference. That sounds perfect for me!

In answer to your question, this began as a personal project, but it intersects with my professional life as well, and will probably do so even more in the future. The site is http://www.ellenjovin.com. I appreciate the kind words!

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 4:14 pm 

I just bought the book - thanks again for that one. I am thin on materials on New York and Irish.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next