It is currently Sat 19 Apr 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 1:06 am 

Hello all!

I just had a beautiful baby boy named Gael. I wanted to get a tat done that reads:

"my boy, my life, my soul"

A friend of mine that was in Ireland gave me this translation: "mo mhac, mo shaol, mo anam", but when I went online to check it (just to be sure) I found something different here http://imtranslator.net/translation/english/to-irish/translation/: "mo buachaill, mo shaol, mo anam". Which one is correct? Is there another way to write it?

I will use this font to write it: http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/gifs/gael_a.gif, so I would also like to know how to write it in the traditional form (SL I guess), where I put a dot over the M instead of writing MH, for example.

Thank you veeery much for the help!

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 3:25 am 

liv.gael wrote:
Hello all!

I just had a beautiful baby boy named Gael. I wanted to get a tat done that reads:

A friend of mine that was in Ireland gave me this translation: "mo mhac, mo shaol, mo anam", but when I went online to check it (just to be sure) I found something different here http://imtranslator.net/translation/english/to-irish/translation/: "mo buachaill, mo shaol, mo anam". Which one is correct? Is there another way to write it?

Thank you veeery much for the help!

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new arrival. There are small grammatical problems with both. Lets start with the one your friend gave you:

"Mo mhac, mo shaol. mo anam"

The grammatical problem is with "mo anam" in Irish you can't have vowels contesting for pronunciation, a bit like French. So this should be m'anam. This is a very common mistake made by learners. The second problem, if it even is one, is "mac" means son, rather than boy.

Coincidentally you'll find the word "mac" in a lot of names of Irish descent. Its often anglicised as "Mc", so "McCarthy" > "Mac(c) Cárthaigh"- son of Cárthach.

Now, the computer one: "mo buachaill, mo shaol, mo anam"

It should be: "mo bhuachaill/ mo gharsún/ mo ghasúr, mo shaol, m'anam"

Strictly speaking, a boy is only called a "buachaill" when he's at the age where he's old enough to be looking after cows :) . But it no longer retains this meaning now however.

liv.gael wrote:
I will use this font to write it: http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/gifs/gael_a.gif, so I would also like to know how to write it in the traditional form (SL I guess), where I put a dot over the M instead of writing MH, for example.

Unfortunately, the Irish-gaelic font given in the font options (Bunchló Ársa) uses the "h"(séimhiú/ lenition) rather than the dot. However, there are people here with the font you require, they should be along shortly! :) .

Since your going with the "seana-chló" or the old font, may I suggest using the spelling of the time in which this font was in use i.e before the 1930s/40s: "mo shaol"/ my life, would have been spelled as "mo shaoghal"

Hope this helped, waitt for some more input :) .

Cian.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:53 am 

liv.gael wrote:
I just had a beautiful baby boy named Gael.

Congratulations on your new arrival! :wave:

liv.gael wrote:
I wanted to get a tat done that reads:

I think buachaill is a bit literal here. By "boy" you really mean your son, so your friend was correct in that respect.

I'd suggest using mo mhac, mo shaol, m'anam.

In sean-chló with SL:

mo ṁac, mo ṡaoġal, m’anam

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Unfortunately, the Irish-gaelic font given in the font options (Bunchló Ársa) uses the "h"(séimhiú/ lenition) rather than the dot.

Actually, the font handles both. What is missing (from our system and possibly from your computer) is an input method for typing the dotted consonants. I use Cló Gaelach (http://www.gaelchlo.com/mearclar.html) for this.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:20 pm 

Breandán wrote:
liv.gael wrote:
I just had a beautiful baby boy named Gael.

Congratulations on your new arrival! :wave:

liv.gael wrote:
I wanted to get a tat done that reads:

I think buachaill is a bit literal here. By "boy" you really mean your son, so your friend was correct in that respect.

I'd suggest using mo mhac, mo shaol, m'anam.

In sean-chló with SL:

mo ṁac, mo ṡaoġal, m’anam

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Unfortunately, the Irish-gaelic font given in the font options (Bunchló Ársa) uses the "h"(séimhiú/ lenition) rather than the dot.

Actually, the font handles both. What is missing (from our system and possibly from your computer) is an input method for typing the dotted consonants. I use Cló Gaelach (http://www.gaelchlo.com/mearclar.html) for this.

I can second this, both for the reason stated, and because "mo bhuachaill" is often used to mean something more along the lines of "my boyfriend."

If I can suggest an alternative (not that the above is wrong...this is just an alternative suggestion):

Mo mhac, mo chuid den tsaol My son, my share of life

It's not inherently better, but it has a very natural, Irish, sound to it.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:27 pm 

In my experience, "mo bhuachaill" is only used to say "my boyfriend"... :)

By the way, the phrase was meant to be in the vocative case, ie. if you're talking to the person? Because normally you can't use the possessive "mo" if the nouns are in the vocative case...

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:33 pm 

Lughaidh wrote:
In my experience, "mo bhuachaill" is only used to say "my boyfriend"... :)

By the way, the phrase was meant to be in the vocative case, ie. if you're talking to the person? Because normally you can't use the possessive "mo" if the nouns are in the vocative case...

Unless a parent is saying it - then yes, I would tend to agree.

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:49 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
I can second this, both for the reason stated, and because "mo bhuachaill" is often used to mean something more along the lines of "my boyfriend."

If I can suggest an alternative (not that the above is wrong...this is just an alternative suggestion):

Redwolf

I agree. This is a nice alternative. :yes:

Lughaidh wrote:
By the way, was the phrase meant to be in the vocative case, ie. if you're talking to the person? Because normally you can't use the possessive "mo" if the nouns are in the vocative case...

Yes, this is another valid point. The above interpretations have been descriptive "(This is) my boy (who is) my world (and) my soul" . If addressing the son as if calling to him, then a different form is used in Irish.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 4:55 pm 

Quote:

ar chualaidh tú féin é ó chainnteóir Ghaedhealtachta?

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 11:46 pm 

Thank you all sooo much!!

An Cionnfhaolach and Breandán, thanks for the corrections and the input!

Quote:

Redwolf, this is a pretty awesome alternative! Thanks!!!

Quote:

Lughaidh, it was supposed to be as if I was presenting him to others, not calling to him.

Thank you very much everybody!

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb 2013 11:54 pm 

Lughaidh wrote:
Quote:

ar chualaidh tú féin é ó chainnteóir Ghaedhealtachta?

Errrr.. níl 'fhios agam, b'shin an smaoineamh a bhí agam, ceapaim gur chuala mé é áit éigin, uair éigin; seans mhaith go bhfuilim mícheart! Cad a cheapann tusa?