It is currently Thu 18 Sep 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 14 May 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Fear Manach
Hi guys,

This may have been asked before apologies if so but would it be possible to translate this song? I really like the Corrs version of this.

Buachaill ón Éirne mé ‘s bhréagfainn féin cailín deas óg
Ní iarrfainn bó spré léithe tá mé féin saibhir go leor
‘S liom Corcaigh ‘a mhéid é, dhá thaobh a’ ghleanna ‘s Tír Eoghain
‘S mura n-athraí mé béasaí ‘s mé n’ t-oidhr’ ar Chontae Mhaigh Eo

Rachaidh mé ‘márach a dhéanamh leanna fán choill
Gan choite gan bád gan gráinnín brach’ ar bith liom
Ach duilliúr na gcraobh mar éideadh leapa os mo chionn
‘S óró sheacht mh’anam déag thú ‘s tú ‘féachaint orm anall

Buachailleacht bó, mo leo, nár chleacht mise ariamh
Ach ag imirt ‘s ag ‘ol ‘s le hógmhná deasa fá shliabh
Má chaill mé mo stór ní dóigh* gur chaill mé mo chiall
A’s ní mó liom do phóg ná’n bhróg atá’r caitheamh le bliain

A chuisle ‘s a stór ná pós an seanduine liath
Ach pós a’ fear óg, mo leo, mur’ maire sé ach bliain
Nó beidh tú go fóill gan ó nó mac os do chionn
A shilfeadh a’n deor tráthnóna nó’r maidin go trom

Go raibh maith agaibh!
Seán


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 2335
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Ros Liath wrote:
Hi guys,

This may have been asked before apologies if so but would it be possible to translate this song? I really like the Corrs version of this.

Buachaill ón Éirne mé ‘s bhréagfainn féin cailín deas óg
Ní iarrfainn bó spré léithe tá mé féin saibhir go leor
‘S liom Corcaigh ‘a mhéid é, dhá thaobh a’ ghleanna ‘s Tír Eoghain
‘S mura n-athraí mé béasaí ‘s mé n’ t-oidhr’ ar Chontae Mhaigh Eo

Rachaidh mé ‘márach a dhéanamh leanna fán choill
Gan choite gan bád gan gráinnín brach’ ar bith liom
Ach duilliúr na gcraobh mar éideadh leapa os mo chionn
‘S óró sheacht mh’anam déag thú ‘s tú ‘féachaint orm anall

Buachailleacht bó, mo leo, nár chleacht mise ariamh
Ach ag imirt ‘s ag ‘ol ‘s le hógmhná deasa fá shliabh
Má chaill mé mo stór ní dóigh* gur chaill mé mo chiall
A’s ní mó liom do phóg ná’n bhróg atá’r caitheamh le bliain

A chuisle ‘s a stór ná pós an seanduine liath
Ach pós a’ fear óg, mo leo, mur’ maire sé ach bliain
Nó beidh tú go fóill gan ó nó mac os do chionn
A shilfeadh a’n deor tráthnóna nó’r maidin go trom

Go raibh maith agaibh!
Seán


I'm a lad from the Erne, and I'd beguile a fine young lass,
I'd not ask a dowry of her, as I'm rich enough myself.
Cork is mine, all of it, and both sides of the glen of Tyrone,
And if I don't change my ways I'll be heir to County Mayo.

I'll go tomorrow to make beer in the woods,
Without [can't remember this word], without a boat, without a speck of grain at all,
But with the leaves of the branches as bed clothes over me,
And bravo to you, watching over me.

Cattle herding, alas, I've never practiced,
But playing and drinking with lovely young women under the mountain,
If I lose my treasure, I won't lose my senses,
And your kiss to me is no more than a shoe that's worn for a year.

O sweetheart, don't marry the grey-haired old man,
But marry the young man, even if he lives only for a year,
Or you'll be forever without a grandson or a son to watch over you,
And your tears will be falling heavily from morning to evening.

Your man has a fine opinion of himself!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 14 May 2014 4:08 pm
Posts: 16
Location: Fear Manach
Great stuff thanks very much Redwolf!

He does indeed that's us Fermanagh men for ye :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 715
The word Red was missing is "wherry", according to the version I have, but what a wherry is when it's at home is beyond me.

_________________
I'm still a learner, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3247
Location: An Astráil
CaoimhínSF wrote:
The word Red was missing is "wherry", according to the version I have, but what a wherry is when it's at home is beyond me.

It is a small ferry boat.

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 2335
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
And God only knows why you'd need one to make beer!

BTW, one interpretation of this song has "An buachaill" as one of the Ó Nialls...

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2055
Redwolf wrote:
And God only knows why you'd need one to make beer!
Redwolf


Maybe because it was made in on an island. Fairly common if you wanted to avoid the gardaí.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Buachaill ón Éirne
PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 2335
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
And God only knows why you'd need one to make beer!
Redwolf


Maybe because it was made in on an island. Fairly common if you wanted to avoid the gardaí.


Thanks! That line's puzzled me for years!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Labhrás and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group