It is currently Sun 20 Apr 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2012 3:49 am
Posts: 4
Looking for translation, closest I've pieced together is

Balance in a world of chaos
Chothromaíocht sa domhan anordúil

However, I don't believe that's exactly it. Any advice on this?

Also, I would greatly appreciate a pronunciation for the phrase as well. This will be on a tattoo I'm getting, and I would like to be able to pronounce any ink I have.

Many thanks in advance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012 4:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 1784
sherminatortim wrote:
Looking for translation, closest I've pieced together is

Balance in a world of chaos
Chothromaíocht sa domhan anordúil

However, I don't believe that's exactly it. Any advice on this?

Also, I would greatly appreciate a pronunciation for the phrase as well. This will be on a tattoo I'm getting, and I would like to be able to pronounce any ink I have.

Many thanks in advance


Possibly -
cothromaíocht i domhan anordúil

But wait for confirmation on that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 19 Dec 2011 3:27 am
Posts: 22
Doesn't "i" cause an eclipse?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 12:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 450
SmithJR67 wrote:
Doesn't "i" cause an eclipse?


It does.... as Bríd has it:

cothromaíocht i ndomhan anordúil

looks OK to me....

Another suggestion I would like to propose is:

Ar cothrom i ndomhan anordúil

... balanced at this moment/now... in a chaotic world/world of chaos...

... as usual, wait for more.... but I think we're close.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr 2012 1:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 1784
Braoin wrote:
SmithJR67 wrote:
Doesn't "i" cause an eclipse?


It does.... as Bríd has it:

cothromaíocht i ndomhan anordúil

looks OK to me....

Another suggestion I would like to propose is:

Ar cothrom i ndomhan anordúil

... balanced at this moment/now... in a chaotic world/world of chaos...

... as usual, wait for more.... but I think we're close.


Sorry I had left the "n" out. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012 3:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2012 3:49 am
Posts: 4
Braoin wrote:
SmithJR67 wrote:
Doesn't "i" cause an eclipse?


It does.... as Bríd has it:

cothromaíocht i ndomhan anordúil

looks OK to me....

Another suggestion I would like to propose is:

Ar cothrom i ndomhan anordúil

... balanced at this moment/now... in a chaotic world/world of chaos...

... as usual, wait for more.... but I think we're close.


I appreciate the help and am intrigued by the suggestion. Will have to take this into serious consideration.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3137
Location: An Astráil
Just to be sure, sherminatortim, did you intend balance to be a noun or a verb?

cothromaíocht is the noun "balance, equilibrium".
ar cothrom is an adverbial phrase meaning "balanced".

The verb would be cothromaigh but you'd have to "balance" something, i.e., yourself, etc., as it is a transitive verb.

Bríd's amended cothromaíocht i ndomhan anordúil "balance/equilibrium in a chaotic world" and Braoin's ar cothrom i ndomhan anordúil both look good to me.

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012 4:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2012 3:49 am
Posts: 4
Breandán wrote:
Just to be sure, sherminatortim, did you intend balance to be a noun or a verb?


My original intention was 'balance (noun) in a world of chaos/chaotic world'.

However, the suggestion of 'balanced (verb) at this moment in a chaotic world' would be equally fitting for the intention of the tattoo, so I am currently weighing the two options.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr 2012 4:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 31 Mar 2012 3:49 am
Posts: 4
sherminatortim wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Just to be sure, sherminatortim, did you intend balance to be a noun or a verb?


My original intention was 'balance (noun) in a world of chaos/chaotic world'.

However, the suggestion of 'balanced (verb) at this moment in a chaotic world' would be equally fitting for the intention of the tattoo, so I am currently weighing the two options.


Edit: balanced not a verb now that I look at it. Far too long since all those useful college classes and such. Regardless, the suggested phrase does fit well for my intention.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group