It is currently Mon 22 Sep 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 12:02 pm 

Lughaidh wrote:
I had a friend from the 6 counties who told me: "next time I receive a tax form, I'll write "ní thuigim" on it and send it back" :darklaugh: :darklaugh: :darklaugh:

I think in this case they would have no difficulty to find a translator... :darklaugh:

:rofl:

That's funny! I don't know how that would work in Ireland, but I work for a state taxing authority in the US, and if we got something like that (here it would be in Spanish), we wouldn't even bother translating. We would simply return it with a notice (in english, of course) that we were "unable to process an incomplete form" that they should complete it and resubmit. And further advising them that filing late would subject them to penalties for late filing! Governmental entities can be extremely callous.

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 12:29 pm 

Aislingeach wrote:
I work for a state taxing authority in the US

Aislingeach wrote:
Governmental entities can be extremely callous.

I knew there was a heartless tone to some of your posts....! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 12:54 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
I knew there was a heartless tone to some of your posts....! :twisted:

:LOL:

Only from 8:30 to 4:30. Off the clock I reserve the right to my own personality! :D

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2012 2:21 pm 

Teach your young children as you learn (if you have some around you can use). They pick up on language faster than any adult, and will be teaching what you've forgotten back to you.

Learn one new phrase/sentence/word per day/week, and use it on unsuspecting spouses, family, friends. Repeatedly. Example: Every night for a week, ask your spouse, "An féidir liom dinnéar a ullmhú duit anocht?" Most likely, he/she will say, "Um... no?" And then you can chill and click around in ILF until dinner is served. It will work at least once, maybe twice. :good:

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2012 10:48 pm 

Playing a game on ILF can be a very good way to learn. If you feel that there is no game going on that does what you would like it to, start a thread yourself. Somebody, somewhere will be glad you did! :party:

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun 2012 11:23 pm 

Yep, not many have the fluency to do so :D One bastard of a Garda (known for being so, I generally respect the Gardaí), became agitated when our address was given in Irish. :darklaugh: