It is currently Thu 30 Oct 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep 2011 5:41 pm 

I would like to get this quote tattooed on my ribs in Connacht Gaelic (sorry for mispelling). The help would be highly appreciated! :D

"Our hearts are drunk with a beauty our eyes could never see"

I'd also like to know what you guys think of the quote too please. Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Wed 21 Sep 2011 6:26 pm 

Perhaps:

Tá ár gcroí ag cur thar maoil le háilleacht nach bhféadfadh ár súile choidhchin feiceáil. (GC)

"Our hearts are overflowing with a beauty our eyes could never see"

Await further input ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 1:12 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Perhaps:

Tá ár gcroí ag cur thar maoil le háilleacht nach bhféadfadh ár súile choidhchin feiceáil. (GC)

Await further input ...

That sounds pretty too but I'd like to keep drunk in there because it sounds a lot more romantic & deep to me. Also I would like to get it in two lines but I wasn't sure if that'd change the spelling at all?! Thanks

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 2:50 pm 

Just substitute ar meisce for ag cur thar maoil for a literal translation...but quite honestly it doesnt come across in the romantic way you mean it

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

Last edited by Tiarnan on Thu 22 Sep 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 2:51 pm 

heather304 wrote:
That sounds pretty too but I'd like to keep drunk in there because it sounds a lot more romantic & deep to me.

It might in English, but it doesn’t in Irish. It would just sound like your hearts were shitfaced on cheap booze, to put it bluntly.

A turn of phrase that sounds romantic and deep in one language can end up sounding completely inappropriate (or even nonsensical) in another; that’s the nature of languages.

Quote:
Also I would like to get it in two lines but I wasn't sure if that'd change the spelling at all?! Thanks

It wouldn’t change any spelling—you could simply add a line break between háilleacht and nach.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 4:33 pm 

kokoshneta wrote:
heather304 wrote:
That sounds pretty too but I'd like to keep drunk in there because it sounds a lot more romantic & deep to me.

It might in English, but it doesn’t in Irish. It would just sound like your hearts were shitfaced on cheap booze, to put it bluntly.

Okay now that you've said that I think I agree. It sounds as if the only reason the beauty is there is because they're drunk. Thank you for that break down lol & I always love bluntness. So is this the 100% correct way it'd be written in Connacht Gaelic? I would like to get the tattoo soon & I don't want it to be wrong in anyway.

Quote:
Also I would like to get it in two lines but I wasn't sure if that'd change the spelling at all?! Thanks

It wouldn’t change any spelling—you could simply add a line break between háilleacht and nach.

Okay thanks. Is there another place I could line break it or is that the best looking place?

Thanks sooo Much :D

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 4:37 pm 

kokoshneta wrote:
heather304 wrote:

Okay now that you've said that I think I agree. It sounds as if the only reason the beauty is there is because they're drunk. Thank you for that break down lol & I always love bluntness. So is this the 100% correct way it'd be written in Connacht Gaelic? I would like to get the tattoo soon & I don't want it to be wrong in anyway.

(I didn't quote it correctly in the first one & I wasn't sure if you'd be able to tell what I wrote, Sorry.)

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 4:42 pm 

Breandán is about as Connacht as they come....

Nuair a shuíonn an coileach péacoige ar a thóin, níl ann ach turcaí
Chief Buffalo Breath
===========================

Wisdom is never on the menu, you have to own the restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 6:08 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Perhaps:

Await further input ...

I would like to know if this translation is 100% accurate because its taking my family in Ireland forever too respond to my email :S ( Idk why but it usually takes them a week to respond :( )... So please let me kno, because if it is, I'm getting it tattooed as soon as possible! :D

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2011 7:35 pm 

Please wait a little longer for some more input. We have a few native and near-native Connacht speakers here now who will be able either to confirm my translation or correct it - or perhaps even offer an alternative that blows us all away. (I'll try to PM some to see if they'll swing by and have a look for us.)

In any case, don't ink till we get more confirmation on any given translation. It will be worth the wait to get it done right. :yes:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next