It is currently Thu 24 Apr 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Thu 15 Mar 2012 9:12 pm 

Haha :hullo: Dia Dhuit!! Go raibh maith agat. :razz:

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:14 pm 

Dia Daoibh,
Ba mhaith liom a labhairt agus a scríobh as gaeilge mar tá mo mhac ag dul go dtí gael scoil anois.

Hi all,
I would like to speak and write in Irish because my son is going to an all Irish school now.
(not sure how correct the Irish I wrote is, help from google... :D )

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:31 pm 

wannaleanrirish wrote:
Dia Daoibh,
Ba mhaith liom a labhairt agus a scríobh as gaeilge mar tá mo mhac ag dul go dtí gael scoil anois.

Hi all,
I would like to speak and write in Irish because my son is going to an all Irish school now.
(not sure how correct the Irish I wrote is, help from google... :D )

Fáilte! It's great you're supporting your son's learning by learning yourself!

Redwolf

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 10:42 pm 

wannaleanrirish wrote:
Dia Daoibh,Ba mhaith liom a labhairt agus a scríobh as gaeilge mar tá mo mhac ag dul go dtí gael scoil anois.Hi all,I would like to speak and write in Irish because my son is going to an all Irish school now.(not sure how correct the Irish I wrote is, help from google...

Hi. Fair play to you. Can I recommend the children's programmes on TG4 as a great way to 'normalise' the language for you and your son? I learned a lot from children's programmes as they tend to speak more slowly as they are geared towards children.

Also, your local library probably has a decent selection of children's books as Gaeilge. Again, it is a great way to make the language 'normal' like English.

Best of luck to you both. :hullo:

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar 2012 11:31 pm 

go raibh maith agaibh.

must look into those kids programmes on TG4.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 2:49 am 

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I think that is also a good way to keep your kids interested in learning, by doing it with them!

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 3:16 pm 

Some interesting children's books in Irish too -

http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/books-by ... rogan.html

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 3:31 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Some interesting children's books in Irish too -

http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/books-by ... rogan.html

:yes: :D

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 7:40 pm 

Dia dhuit all. Cad é mar atá tú?

Is mise Darra Joyce. Some of you might remember me from IGT, as I was a regular there a while back. After reading some of the recent threads on there, though, and some of the threads on here, it appears that this is the better venue nowadays. Seems to be 'interesting times' on the old forum. :bash:

Anyway, March 17 seems like a good day to make my first post here. :D ;)

Hope you're all enjoying your Saint Patrick's Day celebrations, by the way. :guiness:

I'm still a formative foghlaimeoir as regards Gaeilge Uladh, progressing slowly but enjoying it a lot. Luckily, we get Radio Ulster here, and the odd programme from BBC NI / SC, courtesy of Virgin Media's Catchup feature. The new series of Imeall Gael has been invaluable, as I don't get a lot of opportunities to speak Irish in my neck of the woods (Birmingham, England). It's amazing how much more sense the language makes when you can hear actual conversations, rather than merely learning by rote from tuition books and CDs.

We also sometimes get documentaries as Gaeilge on Catchup. There was an excellent subtitled mini-series about the plantation of Ulster a few months back, for example. I'm finding that repeated viewings of programmes like that are a great way of building up my Irish vocabulary.

We have access to RTÉ Radio 1, too, but I find some of the Irish spoken on there a little confusing, perhaps due to dialect differences. I still listen to the station, but most of the programmes I like on there are in English.

Right, I'll leave it there for now. I daresay I'll be back soon to make an amadán of myself in the translation threads, though! 8O

Slán go fóill,

Darra.

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar 2012 7:46 pm 

Welcome Darra :wave:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next