It is currently Thu 23 Oct 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 10:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 26 Mar 2012 10:06 pm
Posts: 3
I am looking for help with the Scottish Gaelic translation for "God bless the broken road". It was the wedding song for my wife and I and we both feel a very special connection to it. I am interested in getting the phrase as a tattoo. There is a significant amount of Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestry on my father's side (his mother's maiden name was Wallace) and would like to honor that heritage by getting it in traditional Scottish Gaelic.

Also, "God bless the broken road" is actually a line from the song, but the song is technically titled "Bless the broken road". If you could offer the translation for both phrases (I would assume it would just be inserting the SG word for God in front?) I would appreciate it.

Any help would be appreciated. Please note that it is "bless" (present tense) and not "blessed" (past tense). Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 26 Mar 2012 10:06 pm
Posts: 3
Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good font to use for Scottish Gaelic?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2012 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 731
Quote:
I am looking for help with the Scottish Gaelic translation for "God bless the broken road". It was the wedding song for my wife and I and we both feel a very special connection to it. I am interested in getting the phrase as a tattoo. There is a significant amount of Scottish and Scotch-Irish ancestry on my father's side (his mother's maiden name was Wallace) and would like to honor that heritage by getting it in traditional Scottish Gaelic.


Irish and Scottish Gaelic, which are closely related, are both very noun-oriented ("the blessing ..."), as opposed to being verb-oriented ("bless ..."), so the normal structure would be different. Here is the usual Gaelic way of wishing a blessing on something or someone:

Beannachadh Dhè air an rathad briste
The blessing of God on the broken road

Quote:
Also, "God bless the broken road" is actually a line from the song, but the song is technically titled "Bless the broken road". If you could offer the translation for both phrases (I would assume it would just be inserting the SG word for God in front?).


It would not really be customary to bless something without a subject (the one doing the blessing). You can say Mo bheannachadh air ... ("My blessing on ...") or Beannachadh Dhè air ... ("The blessing of God on ..."), but it isn't usual to say just "A blessing on ..." without a subject.

As to the placement of the word "God", Irish and Gaelic grammar and sentence structure are very different from that of English, so you can't just take words out of the dictionary and use them in English word order, especially since they can change form, depending on how they are used. The nominative form (when it is the subject) of the word "God" in Gaelic is Dia, but the genitive form needed to be used above (Dhè = "of God").

Quote:
Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good font to use for Scottish Gaelic?


Scottish Gaelic has generally been written with the same fonts as English, at least since the Reformation (unlike Irish, which was written in older fonts until the mid-20th century). Actually, prior to the Reformation there really was no written form of Scottish Gaelic, since Gaelic speakers wrote in Irish back then, or more likely in Latin, since that's what most scholars used (most non-scholars were illiterate).

_________________
I'm still a learner, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012 5:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 26 Mar 2012 10:06 pm
Posts: 3
Thank you so much. Would you be able to be so kind as to provide a phonetic pronunciation of the Scottish phrase?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2012 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 731
pistolpetefan23 wrote:
Thank you so much. Would you be able to be so kind as to provide a phonetic pronunciation of the Scottish phrase?


Here's a rough approximation, understanding that I'm not a fluent (much less a native) speaker, and that the pronunciation can vary from place to place for some words:

Beannachadh Dhè air an rathad briste
"BANN-ukh-ugh yay err un RAH-ud BRISH-tuh"

-- “kh” is a guttural sound like the “ch” in “Loch Ness”
-- “gh” is a deeper guttural sound, like the “kh” sound, but deeper in the throat, using the larynx. If that sound is hard to make, you can just use a hard “g” (as in “gun”) and still be understood (English speakers can often only hear a "g" sound anyway).
-- "u" or “uh” is a short, indistinct vowel sound which occurs a lot (the vowel written in the word may vary)
-- In rathad ("RAH-ud") there is no "th" or "h" sound at all. The emphasis is on "RAH" (as in a football cheer in the US), then there is a very brief hiatus (a glottal stop, if you know what that is), and then the short "ud" sound.

_________________
I'm still a learner, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group