It is currently Sun 21 Sep 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hello from Canada
PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012 4:28 pm 

When I was about 12 years old I opened one of the Encyclopedia Britannica's books randomly and stared at the beautiful photograph of green pastures, troubled seas and angry grey skies speechless...as it turned out, it was a picture taken of the Cliffs of Moher.
I think it was love at first sight right then and there.
I have since been to Ireland, been to the places I longed to see with my own eyes, and my fascination with the land has grown to the point that now, in my adult age, I weave Ireland, Irish folklore and everything Irish into what I write.
I write Contemporary Fiction and the setting of my books is modern day Dublin. Some scenes take place in Sligo, too.
My main reason to be here is to make sure I don't write incorrect Gaeilge in my stories.
The main Character is Irish but lived a big chunk of his life in the U.S. before moving back to Dublin. I use Gaeilge sparingly because my command of the language is not as good as I would hope it to be but whatever I do use, I try to be accurate (or as accurate as possible).
I might be posting weird questions on how one would approach a dialog or two in the process so please be warned. ;)
And I hope to learn a lot more as I move along in my quest.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Trevor (Chris Almeida's Alter Ego)

Post subject: Re: Hello from Canada
PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012 4:45 pm 

Fáilte go dtí an fóram, Trevor! We often get asked to help authors here, so you've found the right place!

Redwolf

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012 4:59 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome! I remember you from the other forum! Great to see "familiar faces" here. :)
I hope my questions don't sound too silly. I have seriously considered just spending a few months in Ireland in deep Gaeilge immersion but at this moment I have no way of doing that.
So, while I wait for the opportunity, I will be bugging you here. Sorry. :)

Thank you again,

T.

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2012 5:24 pm 

Hi, Trevor. Glad you found us okay.

The only "silly" question is one that gets left unasked. We can all learn from being made to think about even the most basic everyday things. So fire away! :good:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).