It is currently Fri 19 Apr 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 3:47 pm 
Hello! I am inquiring about the translation for "tread lightly" I have found "éasca torann" and "siúl go ciúin " are either of these correct? Thank you so much for your help!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 3:53 pm 

SjB wrote:
Hello! I am inquiring about the translation for "tread lightly" I have found "éasca torann" and "siúl go ciúin " are either of these correct? Thank you so much for your help!

Welcome to ILF! :wave:
Your first one is not correct at all; I think the second attempt is close, but maybe: siúil go ciúin (quietly) or siúil go bog (softly)?
However, wait for the wiser to come along. You won't have too long to wait.

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 4:25 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
SjB wrote:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:
Your first one is not correct at all; I think the second attempt is close, but maybe: siúil go ciúin (quietly) or siúil go bog (softly)?
However, wait for the wiser to come along. You won't have too long to wait.

I think either "siúil go ciúin" or "siúil go bog" could work, depending on whether, by "lightly," one means "quietly" or "softly." The way I interpret "tread lightly," I think "siúil go bog" is probably the closest literal interpretation.

There might be a native expression, though, that expresses this better than a literal translation. When you say "tread lightly," SjB, what, exactly, to you mean by it. Do you mean something along the lines of not having an impact on something, or being careful to avoid stirring things up?

BTW, as Saoirse said, "Éasca Torann" makes no sense at all. "Éasca" means "easy" as in "simple." "Torann" means "noise/rumble."

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 4:32 pm 
I am using this translation in an art piece. I got the words from a quote in a book, "For those who tread lightly on this Earth."

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 4:55 pm 

SjB wrote:
I am using this translation in an art piece. I got the words from a quote in a book, "For those who tread lightly on this Earth."

We've been approaching this as an imperative (i.e., an instruction or command)...is that how you want it?

It would still be very useful to know how YOU interpret the phrase "tread lightly." As I mentioned, there are a couple of possible interpretations, and knowing what you mean by it will help us arrive at the best one for your art piece.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 5:50 pm 
To me it means, to be careful of/with the impact you make. Thank you for your help with this!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 5:58 pm 

I'm wondering if something like:

Siúil Go Séimh: Walk Gently

Might not be the best approach here.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2012 6:08 pm 

Taking your meaning on board, but changing the wording a bit, what about:
'Lean ar aghaidh go cúramach.', meaning 'Proceed with care.' (addressing one person)
That may be too far from what you want, but it can be worth throwing things into the pot though, just in case!

(I also edited the title of the thread to help people to find it more easily.)

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012 6:15 pm 

I have also seen "tread go héadrom" is that a possible translation?

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012 6:21 pm 

Sj7 wrote:
I have also seen "tread go héadrom" is that a possible translation?
:no: Tread is an English word. Google Translate is not a reliable source for a translation - it will give the gist of something, but will cannot be trusted for an accurate translation.